Saturday, November 12, 2011

To Kiss a Frog...

I admit it…my mind goes in funny circles sometimes…okay…all the time…geez…but…it’s just that words catch my attention…they make me curious…they invite me to stop what I’m doing and play with them…
So it’s no wonder that the expression…warts and all…grabbed hold of me yesterday…sending my imagination out for a stroll…
Where did this rather odd expression come from…I know what it means…take me as I am…the good…the bad…the ugly…I’m not going to pretend…not for you…not for anyone…but…who said it first…
Could it have been the Frog…about to be kissed by the Princess…or the less attractive Princess who said it to the Frog…maybe she’d gotten the warts from kissing all those other frogs…while looking for the magical one…
Or…maybe it was a green-faced witch…meeting a blind date at the door…but that was gonna send me in another direction…why do we think witches always have warts on their noses…hmmm…
I could tell this getting out of control…so I did the sensible thing…I Googled…and surely enough…it was there…no frogs…no princesses…no witches…
The phrase is attributed to Oliver Cromwell…who in the 1600’s instructed an artist to paint him as he was…warts and all…seems as though airbrushing of celebs was popular even back then…

Oliver Cromwell

Now I’m wondering…if they were airbrushing…what did those Rubens chicks really look like…and it ain’t pretty…but I digress…
Back to Oliver…and a big thank you for being brave enough…to step out there and be yourself…for having the self-confidence to not succumb to the vanity of the times…and be portrayed exactly how you were…
But…I have to ask…how did you get that big wart on your chin…did you kiss a frog…it’s okay if you did…I’ve kissed a few myself…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment