Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gray is the Old Brown...

I ran into my hairdresser tonight…okay…I didn’t really run into her like with the car or anything…I just saw her at an event…geez…you are picky today…
Anyway…I’m really a week past needing a cut…I’m sure she was aware of my shagginess…but she never said a word…she’s nice like that…
Pineapple...hot off the clippers!
In fact there are a lot of things I like about her…tops on the list is the way she cuts my hair…except for that one head shaving she gave me before my surgery last year…she said I looked like a pineapple…and yes…I asked for it…but I digress…
I also really appreciate…that she never makes snide remarks about my gray…
And we aren’t talking a strand here…a stray hair there…we’re talking full head of…‘looks like Mama on Mama’s Family’…gray…
I’d like to say that I am one of those women…who decided to age gracefully…to be exactly the way the good Lord made me…but that ain’t exactly so…
I’m scrapy…I put up a fight…
I saw the first gray strays in my early thirties…I highlighted with a vengeance…in my forties…it took the heavy-duty all over stuff…the only problem was…my hair really didn’t take to color very well…
I’d spend an hour or so in the salon…getting it just the perfect shade of light brown…only to have gray temples and a strange shade of orangish-gold everywhere else within a week…
I’m also blessed with rapidly growing hair…which was truly a blessing when I look liked a pineapple…on the other hand…I always had those bright, shining roots…AKA…it didn’t take a hairdresser to know…did I or didn’t I…everyone knew that I did…and I needed to…
So…a couple of years ago…after careful consideration…I took the plunge…I went gray…
Honestly…most of the time I’m happy with the results…

But if the truth were told…I would rather have light brown hair…
I’d rather look like I’m thirty…I’d rather weigh less…sag less…ache less…just to start the list…
Unfortunately…the truth of the matter is…I look like a fifty-something…I need to lose a few…okay…a bunch…that skin ain’t going to be taunt again…and the aches…oh well…that’s why they make heating pads…
But…you know…I’m happy…I’m content with my life…I like who I am…I like how I am…gray hair and all…the pounds, wrinkles, and aches…I deal with…it’s all part of being me…of growing older…and hopefully wiser…
Maybe I am becoming one of those women who decided to age gracefully after all…who knew…
Jane

3 comments:

  1. I love your gray hair and think it makes you look "Marilyn" like...as far as aging gracefully, I believe that begins with a good heart and girl, you've got the goodest one. (As my granddaughter says).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told, you are more beautiful than ever too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Queenie and Edie...you say the sweetest things...thank you so much...I think ya'll are just wearing off on me...

    ReplyDelete