Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sir...Can You Spare a Minute...

I meant to do better…I had a plan…I’d save ten minutes of sunshine every day…just ten out of 780…that shouldn’t be so hard…I’d put them in a bottle…it would glow all winter…and yet…here we are…the time for Saving Daylight is over…my bottle is empty…and it’s dark…
The sad thing about it…I don’t even remember spending those minutes…I must have squandered them…geez…letting them slip out of my clock…one at a time…tick-tock…
Okay…not entirely true…I do remember many sun shimmering moments…some filled with things that I enjoyed…and others…not so much…it was an odd summer…spent recovering strength and stamina…with daily naps instead of bicycle rides…
At first I complained…whined most likely…that I was wasting my summer…my time off…I didn’t feel like doing the things that I really wanted to do…
Bertha…gently explained that time is never wasted…it is always spent doing something…it’s just that I miss out on what that something is…when I’m not paying attention…when I’m not living in that moment…when I’m thinking about the next one…or the one before…
She says it’s not about…saving time for the future…it’s all about truly experiencing the moment I’m in…
So…my sunshine bottle is empty…I’m thinking about filling it with lightning bugs…Bertha just hit me on the head with a flashlight…geez…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment