Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sweet Potatoes…The Rest of the Story…

Funny thing happened on the way to yesterday’s blog…it changed directions…writing has a way of doing that…it just takes on a life of its own…and you never know where it’s going to take you…
But…yesterday…I did…I had written the piece a few years ago…I knew where it was going…it was strictly a humor piece…concluding with my husband becoming my once-husband…(I really don’t like the term ‘ex’…it sounds like a math equation I need to solve…so…I’ve decided he will be my once-husband)…now I have way digressed…
It concluded with my once-husband requesting and receiving the sweet potato recipes…well…here is how it ended…
But…the story doesn’t end there…not so many years later…the marriage itself ended…seems as though my sweet potatoes were the only thing he liked about me…and can you believe it…he had the gall to ask for the recipes…and can you believe it…I was dumb enough to give them to him…well…I told you…I’m not good under pressure…I caved…
Not much later…when there was a replacement wife…I regretted my decision…I entertained all sorts of nasty notions of what they could do with those yams…no…not that kind of nasty notions…where is your mind…geez…until my precious children told me that hers were never as good as mine…
Somehow that did…and still actually does…bring me pleasure…because…as they all say…
Revenge is…Sweet…Potato!
I don’t know what came over me as I retyped the story…maybe it was all the forgiveness prayers I’ve been doing…maybe it was Bertha playing on the keyboard…I don’t know…but it changed…it softened…suddenly I understood Mama…I wanted to add something else to the ending…but my fingers just wouldn’t type it…that was what needed to be said…
Last night my daughter…precious children…do tell you what you need to know…said that she would have added to it…she would have added…that no one remembers it that way…they all talk about my delicious sweet potatoes…they talk about good memories…about my kindness…what I recall as a Revolution…is not even brought up as a skirmish…
Which brings me to something that I’ve always known…there is my memory…there is your memory…and there is the truth…and somehow…the blurring of the three together…is what truly makes life…Sweet…Potato!
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment