Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Can You Keep a Secret?

I read Sarah Addison Allen’s The Peach Keeper this weekend…it’s one of those delicious books that makes me want to eat the words with a spoon…and then let them radiate out of me…like sunbeams through a prism…
It’s a soft book…about friendships and family…and home…and leaving and coming back…and staying…and love…of course there was love…and just the right amount of magic…
It’s not self-help…purely fictional…but her writing allows me to think outside of myself…and believe just a little differently…I feel floaty…(I know it’s not a word…but it’s how I feel)…like I know a secret…like I’m somebody I haven’t quite met yet…
I love the way she describes things…I do love words…I love seeing the world through her eyes…and reading the book has changed me…I’m not exactly sure how…but I know it did…all of her books do…
I suppose that is the magic…being transformed in such a gentle way…that you aren’t even totally aware that a change is taking place…or what it is going to be…until…one day it just is…and you just are…
Bertha says that’s the only way to change…in bits and pieces…dribs and drabs…floating…knowing a secret…just letting it happen…
And I know she’s right…I’ve tried the other way…beating myself over the head with a sledge hammer…much too drastic…much too painful…I’d rather feel floaty…like I know a secret…and now…you know the secret too…sssshhhhh...
Jane

6 comments:

  1. Having my cup right now...made with an old Corningware Percolator that you cook on the stove. Delicious! I added chocolate mocha creamer. Love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth! Your coffee sounds better than mine this morning...but...mines feels real good on this cool morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a cup here in Mexico! Wish you were here. Used my trusty French press, yum. Enjoyed the post and will be putting this book on my "to read" list. Thanks Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, I
    love the magic in Sarah Addison Allen's writing. As you said, it's "soft" and kind of easy, but the mystical imagery transports me to a place that I like being. I've read her first two books, and have the next two, including The Peach Keeper, on the shelf. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheri...you will love this book...have I sent any of her books home with you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda,

    I've now read all of her books...and I'm hopeful she'll be releasing another one...soon! Garden Spells is honestly my favorite...but I love them all!

    ReplyDelete