Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Writing Bertha…

As promised earlier…I am writing Bertha the Sequel…that’s one working title…the other…the one I really love…is…Naked Bertha 2 1/2—the Sequel
I know I can’t use that title…for many reasons…first…Bertha wasn’t naked in the first book…nor is she in the second…nor will she ever be…and most importantly…the Naked Gun people probably wouldn’t like it very much…and most, most importantly…probably…nobody….besides me…would think it was funny…
You might have guessed that I loved the Naked Gun movies…the play of abstract and concrete humor…right up my alley…Leslie Nielson…one of my favorite actors of all times…
But…I digress…
For now…I’m sticking with Bertha the Sequel…until I come up with something that I like better…the title really doesn’t matter at this point…what matters is that I’m writing…
Writing…Bertha
Funny…I probably had about 2/3 of the book already written…I just didn’t like it…so I stopped…and…now…I’m looking at it with fresh eyes…and I’m changing what wasn’t working…and adding new stuff that does…
My whole writing process has changed…before…I was just writing from my heart…something came up…I’d write a Bertha about it…sort of like my blogs…there was no rhyme or reason…and it was hard to put it together as a cohesive book…once it was all written…
Now…I’m working with an outline…and I’m plugging things into it…in a sequence…and thinking…how does this work with what came before…and what comes after…
There is one thing that is sort of weird to me…when I write…I see the scene…sort of like a movie…sort of like how you see things when you read a book…and since most of the stories take place in my home…I see my surroundings as I write…well…these stories have evolved over six or seven years…and I’ve lived in four houses during that time…so…the images I get are from all these houses…although it shouldn’t make any difference to the reader…it drives me a little nuts…so…as I’m tweaking stories…I’m moving them…in my mind…to this house…crazy…I know…
Bertha writing...
You didn’t have to agree with me so quickly…geez…
I’m also…thinking about…the roles that Bertha and I play in the book…who is the writer…is it just Bertha…or can we both be writers…in the first book…I worked…but it never says what I do…but…I did let Bertha start writing a book…which she still is…in this one…Putting Your Best Foot Forward: Bertha’s Guide to Life and Shoes…naming the chapters of her book is one of the most fun things I get to do…right up there with picking her outfits…
So…what do you think…how many writers…one…or…two…you’re welcome to add your two pennies…if you’d like…
The whole writing process is really pretty cool…Bertha seems to be pleased with the new style…which is a good thing…’cause as we all know…if Bertha ain’t happy…ain’t nobody happy…
And…I want to be happy…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment