Monday, February 20, 2012

Abraham, George, and Jane…

You may think today is Presidents’ Day…and it is…but…for me…and my colleagues…it’s also flex day…which means…the kids get a holiday…and staff members who attended a full day of inservice during the summer…get the day off as well…
I didn’t…I don’t…                        
I had good intentions…I registered for the school nursing conference…I just couldn’t go…it was our first week out of school…I was still exhausted from finishing the school year…
I opted out…I felt so guilty…it was a free conference…I should go…I needed the information…the other nurses would be there…I’d look like a slug…
There just wasn’t enough guilt…to make me go…I needed to rest…
So…today…part of me is thinking…man…I could have the day off…I could be in the bed right now…if only…I’d gone to that conference…it was only one day…I could have done that…right…
Wrong…
I honestly don’t think I could have…
Bertha is excited…she’s glad I’m going to work today…because it means…I made the right decision…I listened to my body…I honored my health…I didn’t let guilt…or…a sense of obligation…get in the way…
She says it’s part of living my truth…and I know it is…but…there’s still that part of me…that’s screaming…but…it’s true…I want a day off…today
What can I say…I’ll see you after work…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment