Friday, February 17, 2012

Where the Dogs Are…

Looks like I’m into cycling stories…I think I’m trying to motivate myself to get back on my bike this spring…summer before last…I rode at least 1200 miles…last summer…following surgery…had to be less than 100…
I miss it…I miss the sense of freedom that riding gave me…I miss the sense of power…I miss the sense of adventure…I miss sense of accomplishment…
I don’t miss the dogs
Dogs…are the bane of a cyclist’s existence…any good book on cycling will have at least a section on how to deal with dogs…
Tops on the list…pedal faster…duh
There’s also…avoid swerving and losing control…or going into traffic…duh
Of course…everyone says…pepper spray…but…I’m not sure…everyone…has ever been riding into a head wind…with a dog nipping at their ankles…trying to get a canister out of a bag…aim it directly at said dog’s eyes…while missing their own…and…keeping control of the bike…not my best option…duh
And…lastly…if forced to dismount the bike…put it…the bike…between you and the dog…I’m not sure they considered more than one dog…circling like an Indian raid on a lone covered wagon…again…not my best option…at least…not as long as pedal faster works…duh
So…while they give some great advice…there is a vital piece of dog information…that isn’t covered…by any book I’ve ever read…
And…that would be…where the dogs are located…wouldn’t it be easier to just avoid them in the first place…duh
Instead…it’s kind of a trial and error thing…I find a road I want to ride…imagine a fancy flow chart with this information
No dogs…ride again…
Dogs…I’m comfortable with…ride again…
Dogs I don’t feel comfortable with…pedal faster…find another way home…and a try another route next time…
But…the funny thing is…just when I think I’ve got it all mapped out…I know where the dogs are…my rides are smooth sailing…a new one moves in…or…I get bored…and want to try a new route…and…there I am…pedaling faster…all over again…
Bertha…says that’s a lot like my life…just substitute troubles for dogs…somehow…it all makes sense…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment