Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Want Some Stew, Scarlett?

I’m enjoying revisiting some of my old writing. That’s the thing about writing from your heart…it always speaks to you…even years later. So, I thought I’d share a bit of an older piece I wrote…with Bertha’s new twist. That girl does love to ‘twist and shout’…what can I say!
So many elephants…elephants in the room…everyone knows…nobody speaks…look the other way…pretend…ignore…deny…lie…hide…harbor… lonely…sad…scared…big…elephant…
Why won’t we talk about the elephant in the room…it takes up so much space…there isn’t room to sit down…and it stinks…besides it’s just so ridiculous…one of us should just say…‘there’s an elephant in here’…but nobody speaks…not even the elephant…it just sits and eats…and gets larger…until there is no room for us…and we both go out different windows…scared and alone…and somehow the elephant follows both of us… even as we go our separate ways…
But this is writing…I can make it go any way I choose…
There’s an elephant in the middle of the room…I don’t know how it got there…I didn’t invite it…did you…I didn’t think so…what do you think it wants…why is it here…why don’t you ask it…hey elephant…what’s up…not much…I’m just taking a break…needed a place to sit for a spell…do you know any games…no we don’t play games…that’s no fun says the elephant as it walks out the door…
Obviously, I wrote this about a relationship…and it’s true for any relationship…but here’s Bertha’s twist…
It only takes two to have an elephant impasse…that’s right…you (me) and the elephant. You know…those things we choose to play Scarlett about…refusing to think about until tomorrow. Things like…you know…I think I’ll let you make your own list…just remember…whatever it is…the more we ignore it…the more it grows…
Well…seems I have some thinking…and cooking to do…anyone for elephant stew?
Jane

4 comments:

  1. So true, the more we ignore it, the more it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has definitely been my experience, Edie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those elephants sure do make it hard to see anything else that's going on, too. I like them best in the wild pulling up trees. They do a lot less damage there I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping that mine will be spending more time in the wilds and less time in my living room...that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete