Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sans Fans...

Weather in the south is changing…for the cooler...and although I haven’t run the air conditioner for a few weeks…last night was the first night that it was actually cool enough to sleep without fans.
No…I’m not talking about adoring well-wishers standing around my bedside cheering me on to a good night’s sleep…Bertha is laughing at that idea…she’s putting on her old cheerleader uniform…just for fun…but I digress…
It’s just that I’m one of those people who happens to be hot in bed…that’s…hot…not…HOT…think flashes…not flashing
I can see that you are going to make this difficult for me…geez…
Anyway…I can leave the thermostat on 80 during a summer day…but at night…I’d love it to be about 68…so rather than freeze the entire house…and give a nice bonus to the electric company employees…I sleep with two fans…one on the ceiling and one on the bedside table…
So last night…when the house was already at perfect sleeping temperature…the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was in the room…I could hear the neighbors’ dogs barking…I could hear the ice dumping…I could hear the house settling…I could hear what I hoped was Bertha in the closet…trying on shoes…
It actually took a little longer than usual to fall asleep…so…I just lay there and listened…and heard nothing…and heard something…and heard nothing again…at first the dogs were annoying…and then…they were just part of the night music…music that I haven’t listened to for a while…music lulling me to sleep…

Bertha says it’s like life…it isn’t necessary to blur the sounds of my heart…even if they are annoying at first…just listen as they make their own songs…
And to quote one of my all-time favorite books…The Adventures of Stanley Kanehow nice said the pig
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment