Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm Not Tammy...My Name is Jane...

They say your whole life flashes before you when you are drowning…well…I’m here to tell you…when the phone rings in the middle of the night…your whole future flashes before you in the few seconds it takes to get the lamp turned on and the phone answered…that is…once you’ve figure out what that horrible sound is…
At 1:30 a.m. the news can only be bad…or not your news…AKA…the wrong number…the caller seemed just as muddled as I was by the fact that I wasn’t Tammy…I wish I’d told her…No…Tammy is probably still asleep somewhere…but it’s hard to think on your feet…when you were lying down…
Heart still racing…I made the requisite trip to the bathroom before attempting to settle back down for the remaining two and a half hours of snooze time…about that time Bertha popped in to ask me what I was feeling…
My first response was to say…aggravated…but I reached down further…and realized that I was feeling relief…relief that my parents were okay…relief that my daughters and granddaughters were safe and sound…relief that no one in my family was having a crisis…that’s what I was feeling…R-O-L-A-I-D-S…doesn’t that spell relief…
So…Tammy…whoever you are…I hope that your phone call was of a pleasant nature…and that your loved ones are safe…just be sure they all put your number on speed dial from now on…okay?
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment