Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Spiel on the Floss

I went to the dentist yesterday…Bertha says it’s like pulling teeth to get me there…the woman thinks she is a comedian…geez…
It is true…I detest…going to the dentist. I’ve never liked it…well…that’s not true…going to George Francis was pretty cool back in the day…but probably only because we loved him so much…my hometown peeps know who I mean…but I digress…
Back to yesterday…I don’t like going to the dentist…I don’t like sitting with my mouth open for that long…it hurts my jaws…I don’t like the sounds of the drills…the feel of the water or vacuum…and I particularly don’t like the fact that they come after me with a jackhammer, pickax, and chisel on cleaning day…
Today was cleaning day…laying there with my mouth stuffed with four instruments and two hands…I was chastised for not taking better care of my teeth…AKA…not flossing…
And besides the fact that my mouth was full of the afore mentioned items…and perhaps a tennis ball thrown in just for fun (I saw that Far Side comic)…there was nothing I could say in my defense…I am an inconsistent flosser…that’s just the truth of the matter…I do floss…but not every day…not like I should…
Finally, the chipping and chiseling were over…I’d made my next torture appointment…and settled into the driver’s seat…contemplating the possibility of a liquid dinner…when Bertha popped up from the backseat…
The point she made was simple…why don’t I floss every day…it would be better for my teeth and gums…there wouldn’t be nearly as much jackhammering on my next appointment…it only takes about a minute to do…why do I let things get out of hand before I handle them…
Hmmmm…I shoved an imaginary tennis ball into my mouth and refused to answer…seems like I need some more time in the contemplation chair…think I’ll floss while I’m sitting there…
Oh…and the inspiration for the title…George Elliot’s The Mill on the Floss
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment