Thursday, December 8, 2011

This Day in History…Thirty-One Years Ago…

Thirty-one years ago today…I finished my Christmas shopping early…I think…no…I know…it’s the last time that has happened…and there’s no way it’s happening this year…unless…I just don’t get anything for anybody…hmmm…
Thirty-one years ago today…my once-husband was making a stable for our Nativity Set…he didn’t get finished…
Thirty-one years ago today…I washed my hair and shaved my legs…and had a contraction getting out of the tub…
Thirty-one years ago today…Adam got his sight back on Little House on the Prairie…I’d looked forward to the show for weeks…I missed it…
Thirty-one years ago today…at age 18 months…my oldest daughter spent the night with her paternal grandmother for the first…and probably only time…
Thirty-one years ago today…John Lennon was killed…by Mark David Chapman…at almost the exact moment that…drumroll please…
Thirty-one years ago today…I gave birth…to my youngest beautiful baby girl…45 minutes after arriving at the hospital…on her due date...no less...
While…I’m not a proponent of living in the past…there are certain days that make me nostalgic…my daughters’ birthdays are tops on that list…
Funny…I used to be sad on their birthdays because I was disappointed that I hadn’t given them…the American Dream life that I had planned…surprisingly…it was my oldest daughter…not Bertha…who explained to me…that that was my dream for them…and that although things could have been different…they weren’t…but…they were loved…and well cared for…and grew up just fine…
Honestly…I think that child has a Bertha of her own…she’s pretty wise…hey...they both are...what can I say...
So...I’m no longer sad on their birthdays…I cherish the memories…each and every one of them…I even remember what the baby was wearing when she was born…
Oh…and she now has the Nativity Set…it only seemed appropriate…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment