Friday, December 9, 2011

Got Garbage…Never Mind…I’ll Figure It Out…

Garbage day…it’s the best day of the week…I mean…really…I’ve got this huge brown can…provided by the city…free…and I get to put all the stuff that I don’t want…that’s broken…used up…left over…trashed…in it…and roll it down to the curb…then someone just comes along and picks it all up and takes it away…
They don’t even make any comments…like…are you sure you wanna throw this away…or…there might still be a little shampoo in the bottom of this bottle…or…I can’t believe how wasteful you are…you should have eaten these potatoes before they became seeing-eye spuds
No…they just take away whatever I leave for them…no judgments…no questions asked…
So think about it…what if I could do that in other areas of my life…what if I could shake my head over the garbage can…and all those thoughts that don’t serve me…would tumble out and jump on the truck…
What if a truck would come along and clean up those relationships that need to be kicked to the curb…now…wouldn’t that be nice…no leave your sweater and take my cat…just send in a big truck…and it’s all cleaned up…
Literally…take this job and shove it…in the can…the truck’ll take it away…
Kids acting up…quick…get them in the can…I hear the truck down the street…hmmm…I think there’s room for the entire third grade in there…
Surely I jest…that’s a bit flip…even for me…but…I do admit…there are times when I wish it were so easy…
Then…Bertha…reminds me…that no sooner do I get the big can down to the street…than I am putting something else in the kitchen trash…and by the time the truck gets here…my household can is often overflowing…
She says it’s the same way with life…there’s always something to clean up…little irritations…frustrations…it’s ongoing…
Tossing an empty tissue box…into my no longer empty garbage can…I know she’s right…well…we knew she was gonna be…hello…we are talking about Bertha…
And...even though I whine…quite honestly…I don’t think life would be very interesting…or fun…if I could dump everything…every one…as easily as yesterday’s newspaper…
Figuring it out…making it work…that’s what gives life it’s spark…so…while I am eternally grateful for the garbage truck taking away my household trash…I’m glad they leave the other stuff for me to figure out…well…most of it anyway…but…if you see me headed in your direction…pushing a big brown can…you might want to run the other way…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment