Sunday, January 22, 2012

I’d Drive a Mile for a Camel…

I remember the first time I saw it…looking regal in a pasture full of mere horses…the famous Camel of Decatur, Alabama…well he may not be all that famous…I couldn’t find him on Google…but…he is a bit of a local legend…but…I digress…
He was standing in a pasture along the side of Whitlow Road…a narrow, curvy, winding road…that demands a bit of attention just to navigate…seeing it…I almost didn’t…
I quickly called a friend…you won’t believe what I just saw…no…I haven’t been drinking…what’s wrong with you…it’s the middle of the day…I know what I saw…I am totally sober
I turned around and went back…
There it stood…same one hump…same tall neck…same arrogant look…yep…it was a camel alright…right there on a road that I traveled almost every day…I don’t know how it got there…I don’t know why…I just know it was there…
For some reason…I’m always looking for a sign…should I do this…will I do that…so…soon it became a game…would I see the camel…yes…that’s the sign I was looking for…
After a while…the unthinkable happened…they moved the camel…I finally found out where it was…but…I didn’t usually go that way…it was a busy four-lane…and the pasture was further from the road…honking horns and one fingered waves…I took them as a sign…let me know that slowing down to look for the camel…probably wasn’t the best idea…
So…you can imagine my delight…when I drove down Whitlow Road yesterday…and there it was…same one hump…same tall neck…same arrogant look…my camel was back…a very good sign…for what has been on my mind lately…
Bertha…The Sequel
That’s right…I’ve been gearing up…as we say in the South…to finish writing the second Bertha book…and with the camel there to cheer me on…the timing is perfect…ooh…I might even write the camel into the book…Bertha on camelback…wouldn’t that be fun…hmmm…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment