Monday, May 7, 2012

Truffles Anyone…


Yesterday was the perfect day…for pulling weeds…it was cloudy and cool…and then it rained…and remained pleasant for a couple of hours until the sun came out…so the temperature was just right…and the ground was soft…perfect for weed pulling…
I have to admit…I’ve had plenty of…reasons…AKA…excuses…for not completing the job before…I’m not sure why yesterday inspired me…maybe…it was a blog I read recently…about how spiritual it felt to weed…
And…quite honestly…the entire experience of being out in nature…hearing the birds…feeling the breeze…smelling the nearby roses…and…just being alone with my thoughts…actually was spiritual…but…so is sitting in my Granny’s rocker…so…don’t get too excited…
Anyway…as I was pulling weeds from the dry creek…I decided it was time to clean out the pot from last year’s asparagus fern…it had become infested with vetch…that had wandered over…from the empty lot next door…I wasn’t sure what I wanted to plant there…but…job one was to clean it out…as I clipped away at the vetch…I noticed the strangest thing…right in the center of last year’s dead fronds…was…a baby asparagus fern…pretty as you please…it was a mild winter…it hadn’t completely died…I carefully…trimmed out the dead fronds and weeds…delighted with my baby fern…
Then…there was the pot of lamb’s ear…it had hung in there for most of the winter…before biting the dust…I started to clean out the pot…and…yep…there were the cutest little lamb’s ears you ever wanted to pet…right there under all those dead leaves…
The mosquito geranium…is making a comeback as well…
Now…I’m not promoting procrastination…although…I could be the poster child…it did make me think…if I had dumped these plants in March…like I kept telling myself that I should…I would have thrown away…my baby plants…
What I’m thinking is…I really wasn’t procrastinating after all…I was listening to my instinct…and…my instinct…said…wait…at least…that’s my story…and I’m sticking to it…
Bertha…rolled her eyes…and…said something about…even a blind pig…finding…a truffle once in a while…
Hmmm…wonder what she meant by that…
Jane  


No comments:

Post a Comment