Sunday, May 6, 2012

But…It Was on Sale…


A bargain is only a bargain…if…you need it! ~Bertha
I must admit…I’ve done it…it…being…buying something…that…I wasn’t shopping for…that…I have a questionable need for…simply because…it was there…and…it was…such a good deal
Now…Bertha…has been quick to point out the fallacy of this…yes…that’s the same…Bertha…who wouldn’t pass up a shoe sale…on a dare…probably not even a double-dog dare…and…we all know…the power of the double-dog…
Anyway…when I proudly display my latest…good deal…she has started asking me…these…stupid…hmmm…I mean…these questions…
Do I need it…does it match anything I have…does it fit…do I love it…would I have bought it at full price…
Then…like a dog with a bone…she goes on…
What about the cost…how does the 50% I paid…fit into my budget…and…she reminds me…$200 worth of bargains…is still $200even…if the receipt says I saved…$200…I still spent…$200…and…somehow…when it comes to my bank balance…that ain’t really saving…
She’s right of course…and…I’m busted…as I remember the arm loads of clearance clothes…still sporting tags…that I eventually gave away…because…they either never fit…well…I meant to lose weight…geez…or…I never found anything…just that shade…of…periwinkle…or…chartreuse…to pull it off…and that…oh…I can always wear it with black…doesn’t always get it either…
Bertha…says…it’s actually part of living my truth…asking myself the…questions…as she calls them…before I make a purchase…especially…an impulse purchase…and…if…the answers…are…no…then…putting it back on the rack…and…walking away…
I have a feeling…I’m going to be doing quite a bit of walking in the future…I wonder…will that count as exercise…hmmm…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment