Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Life’s Easy…Just Hang on to the Rope…


Bertha…brought up a memory yesterday…she reminded me of a few years back…several years back…okay…a lot of years back…I was 21…when I learned to water ski…
It was a beautiful summer day…my boyfriend and I were at the lake with friends…they could all ski…and…it was unanimous…I should learn as well…
They took me to a shallow spot in a nearby slew…my friend’s husband got in the water with me…showing me how to get the skis on…how to balance…how to hold on to the rope…telling me how to pull against it…as the boat pulled in the opposite direction…and…then…the boat took off…
I was skiing…
It was that easy…I got up on the first try…I was skiing…I freaked out…I let go of the rope…I never expected it to be so easy…
So…what was Bertha’s point…in bringing back this blast from the past…well…seems as though…she says…I still have a tendency to freak out…when things are easy…that…I still let go of the metaphorical rope…
And…it’s true…I do…I’m not sure…why…I still feel more comfortable with struggle…than with ease…but…I have a feeling that Bertha will be talking to me more about that in the near future…
I just hope…she doesn’t make me ski again…it’s been way too long…I’ve gotten way too…mature…but…then again…I did love the feeling of gliding across the water…
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment